The rain sensor can make precise adjustments to windshield wiper frequency in accordance with the amount of water covering the windshield at a given moment. This eases the stress of driving in poor weather.
This function offers five key benefits:
1) The rain sensor can operate the windshield wipers independently.
2) The electronics system regulates the wipers to ensure that you have the best view.
3) This means that wipers never have to make "dry runs".
4) The sensor takes into account the sensitivity of the human eye in night-time driving.
5) The wiper intervals are adapted to the vehicle’s speed (the faster you drive, the shorter the interval will be)
The rain sensor's control unit is linked up to the intermittent wipe control function and employs cutting-edge infrared technology. The invisible light beams emitted from two LEDs scan an area of the windscreen at the level of the rearview mirror. These light beams are reflected to varying degrees, according to how heavy the rainfall is/how wet the windscreen is.
The sensor responds to this information by activating the appropriate wipe interval. When isolated drops turn into a heavy downpour the system switches from intermittent to continuous wipe mode, increasing the wipe frequency continuously and subsequently reducing the rate continuously when the rainfall eases.